-
January 8th, 2002, 05:37 AM
#1
dogstarman
Guest
I don't know if anybody will think this is a good idea, but here goes...
A few days ago, somebody raised the issue that we are TOO focussed on abstract, technical issues (i.e. DV editing) on the forum. I don't think so, and even if we are, I like it. Anyway, in response, Matt started a thread on scrips. Good idea.
I had an idea that I thought might just work here. Since we have a wide variety of people from different places and different backgrouds and different tastes, I thought it would be kind of cool to do something like a book of the month club, but instead, a "film of the week" discussion.
My idea is, everybody chimes in and nominates a film, preferably something widely available on video that they feel is worthy of dicussion, and we reach some sort of concencious on what the film for that week is. Then everybody who wants to take part watches the film. After seven days, we start a thread (the title of the film) and anybody can comment on any aspect of the film they want to, ask questions, etc. And basically, everybody gets to put in their two cents and contribute. I mean, even if you hateed the film, you could say "I hated it, here's why..."
I think this would be great because even the most novice filmmaker has an opinion as to what they like or don't like about a film, and surely this sort of thing would raise some great technical questions as well as information about technique, script writing, plot, pacing and any number of other topics.
Everyone can participate, and everyone gets something, even if it is only (maybe) seeing a film they hadn't seen before.
Anybody think we could get this going?
I think deciding on a film might be the hardest part...
------------------
[This message has been edited by dogstarman (edited January 08, 2002).]
-
January 8th, 2002, 11:20 AM
#2
Mr Blackstock
Guest
I thinl it is a good idea, might be a headache for the moderator though.
------------------
-
January 8th, 2002, 11:55 AM
#3
crimsonson
Guest
I tried to support those kind of threads as much as possible (Nolan's follow, Amelie, etc.) SO you know I'm down - Only thing to remember is that some films we choose might be not as accessible to all quite so easily.
Choose a film, post the question prior to the film.
Cant wait.
------------------
[This message has been edited by crimsonson (edited January 08, 2002).]
-
January 9th, 2002, 11:34 PM
#4
mcflytrap
Guest
Memento....good movie. Discuss. 
-mcfly-
------------------
-
January 10th, 2002, 03:06 AM
#5
daviddolores
Guest
In a related but very different matter, can the mod or someone else tell me if the boards are ever compiled into a single file for convenient downloading?
You know, having the past--say, four months to pore over would be invaluable...for me, anyway.
Failing that, is there an easy way to put the threads together myself, besides the obvious copy paste tedium?
dd
------------------
-
January 10th, 2002, 05:37 AM
#6
dogstarman
Guest
Uggg... OK, this forces me to nominate a film myself.
Hmmmm... OK.
TOUCH OF EVIL -or-
Peckinpah's STRAW DOGS
...which-ever one you've seen less/ not at all...
------------------
-
January 10th, 2002, 06:07 AM
#7
Matt Pacini
Guest
Yeah, good idea.
I'm in.
Touch of Evil was awesome.
I saw it in the theater when they re-released it. Too cool.
Chuck Heston is the man!
(That Orson guy wasn't too bad either)
Matt Pacini
------------------
-
January 10th, 2002, 02:49 PM
#8
dogstarman
Guest
OK.
Sounds like two for T.O.E.
If you can't find it at your local video rental shop... you need to find a different video shop.
Anymore nominations?
------------------
-
January 10th, 2002, 03:03 PM
#9
kittyunicorn
Guest
I'm game for Momento, myself (Because I've seen it). But there's no reason why we can't talk about more than one.
------------------
-
January 10th, 2002, 03:05 PM
#10
el don
Guest
could you please just give a few details about the movie (director, year..) so i could find its french title and find it here?
------------------
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks